Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Paintings from "Expressive Musicians" reception at Linen Life Gallery






 


These are painting of musicians captured in photographs from actual performance situations. Each musician in the paintings have their own story to tell. There will be more detail information behind each painting on my website.
The majority of these painting, I've experimented with using the pallet knife to apply the paint on the canvas instead of a paint brush. This technique allowed me to loosen up and paint expressively. I chose to do this body of work because I have a passion for music and musical instruments. I went to a local establishment and witnessed very talented musicians playing jazz music. The people in the audience and the musicians, all displayed uniqueness about themselves with the different styles of clothing and attire they were wearing. To see the musicians play their instruments, and the reactions from the audience, inspired me to capture the moment in my paintings. I was moved by the fact that jazz is still played and appreciated in the local areas. Some of the musicians are well known in the local and national jazz scene. This is a moment in history I am inspired to capture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment